Many people know the Lumberman's Arch area of Vancouver's Stanley Park. Many may not know it's previous history, for this is actually the 2nd arch. All of the pieces are red cedar.
The plaque on today's arch reads:
THIS ARCH WAS ERECTED IN 1952 BY THE BOARD OF PARK COMMISSIONERS AND THE BRITISH COLUMBIA LUMBER MANUFACTURERS ASSOCIATION. THE ORIGINAL LUMBERMEN'S ARCH, KNOWN AS THE `BOWIE ARCH', WAS BUILT IN 1912 ON PENDER ST. NEAR HAMILTON ST. IN HONOUR OF THE VISIT TO VANCOUVER OF THE DUKE OF CONNAUGHT, GOVERNOR GENERAL OF CANADA AT THAT TIME. THE ORIGINAL ARCH WAS MOVED TO THIS SITE AND WAS A FAMILIAR LANDMARK UNTIL DISMANTLED IN 1947.
Here is the original arch, in it's original 1912 location on Pender St. It was contructed entirely of fir, and was reportedly held together only by it's own weight as no nails, bolts or fasteners were used.
Here again is the original arch, moved to Stanley Park in 1913.
Postcard titled 'Bowie Arch' after the original designer Capt. George P. Bowie who was killed near Ypres 1915 during WWI.